2016/05/03

TOP 5: NON FICTION BOOKS SET IN AFRICA I WANT TO READ II

Last week, I did Part I of this, but thought since I'd found so many books like this I want to read that I would do another one.

Country of My Scull: Guilt, Sorrow and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa by Antjie Krog


Written by a journalist and poet, this is a book about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the stories of those who experience apartheid and their families.

A Thousand Sisters: My Journey Into the worst Place on Earth to Be A Woman by Lisa J. Shannon


Leaving a comfortable life behind, Shannon traveled to Congo with the goal to raise money to sponsor 30 Congolese women. What started as a solo-mission has now grown into an international organisation. In this book, Shannon shares firsthand accounts of her experiences visiting Congo and the relationship's she's formed.

Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer and Sex Changed A Nation At War by Leymah Gbowee with Carol Mithers.


Broken by the Liberian war, Gbowee found the courage to turn bitterness into action, and propelled by the realization that in conflict it is the women who suffer most, she found that women working together could help bring a country to peace. Gbowee also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2011, so I can't wait to read this book.

They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky by Benson Deng, Alephonsion Deng, Benjamin Ajak with Judy A. Bernstein


Raised among the Dinka tribe of Sudan, these boys fled from their home in Sudan after government-armed Murahiliin attacked their village. This is their story and experiences of an unthinkable journey.

The Land of Second Chances: The Impossible Rise of Rwanda's Cycling Team by Tim Lewis


Though most of the books I've mentioned I want to read about Africa are all quite serious and have sort of heavy topics, I really do want to read more positive things about it as well. I thought perhaps this book would be an interesting one.


SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig